Thursday, March 11, 2010

Talking to oneself

(photo credit: www.zazzle.co.uk)


When was the last time you talked to yourself?

It is called soliloquy (talking to oneself), an effective tool for actors to master their lines on certain acts or for speakers to rehearse their speeches.

At times, we engage in soliloquy, without knowing that what you’re doing is perfectly normal, a technique that directly or indirectly improves our personalities.

I was in college when I first encountered the term in one of my literature subjects. From then on, I used the technique when rehearsing a presentation, speeches, or scheduled interviews. Believe me, it indeed works and usually boosts confidence. Soliloquy is best practice in front of the mirror.

Speaking of mirror…

Yesterday while dusting off my life size mirror in the room, I noticed that my then “cute” countenance (as friends called me during my younger years har har har), already turned into a face of a man who is on his mid-thirties, and that an aura of adulthood is undeniably evident.

I have aged indeed I told myself…

When I was in my teens, what I wished was to grow-up faster and do things that adults were doing, like partying, drinking and smoking, etc. Then I got employed, and realized smoking and drinking would just a waste of hard earned monies. I still drink, only occasionally, or some calls it social drinking.

Now in my 30’s, I fancy the years to unfold slowly.  I wish that I am still in my 10’s or in my 20’s. A psychologist friend told me, it is but normal for persons who are in their later 20’s or 30’s, even 40’s to engage sometimes on cheeky things that they are used with. She cited that if young ones are vain, how much more the adults who may have the means to proper grooming?  And what about those in their 50’s, 60’s...? “Well, they are on the quest of the fountain of youth,” she quipped. In short, being vain, as long as it is not overtly excessive is healthy.  No wonder beauty/grooming industries worldwide generate billions in sales revenue annually.

We might age at a snail’s pace, yes. But, we can’t totally alter the natural flow of aging, nor forever hold our being young, gorgeous and strong.  However, moderation (to anything) is one of the keys to long life.

Worrying develops unwanted wrinkles and too much stress will shorten your life.

One day, the inevitable will come, and I told myself.., “It is worth leaving if life is productively spent.”

No comments:

Post a Comment